The latest news coming in from our Italian correspondent has confirmed that at least two people have been confirmed dead when a boat carrying dozens of migrants sank off the coast of the island of Lampedusa, south of Sicily off the Italian coast.
The coast guard confirmed that search and rescue vessels had picked up 22 people from the boat on Monday morning and that search operation for other survivors was underway after an alert was received late on Sunday night that a boat carrying some 50 people was in difficulty.
Conditions in the Mediterranean were said to be rough and the vessel capsized after many of its passengers rushed to one side.
Vessels from the coast guard and customs police had reached the boat, which overturned in rough seas about six nautical miles from the coast of Lampedusa, the coast guard said in a statement that two bodies had been recovered but it expects the death toll to rise beyond 10.
FOLLOW US ON SOCIAL MEDIA AND SHARE WTX NEWS WITH YOUR FRIENDS AND FAMILY:
Facebook – Please like our page
Twitter – Twitter updates available in English and Arabic. Please follow us and we would love to hear from you
Instagram – Follow our pages in English and Arabic